You will consider the interaction of form and function in architecture, using an example of innovative architecture as a case study.
Architecture has always been about solving problems for humans and their need for shelter to protect them from and work within their environment. For this reason, buildings can look vastly different depending on the demands of the climate and the local materials available. In modern day, we see architecture evolving to solve more complex problems such comfort, light, efficiency, environmental factors, and aesthetics.
Respond to all parts of the following questions:
- How does architecture relate to both science and art?
- How are form and function intertwined in successful architectural projects and concepts?
- Find an example of architecture that used innovative techniques, materials, or concepts to solve a difficult problem. How did the architect resolve the problem?
Research inventive solutions in architecture. What limitations or restrictions forced the architect to discover a new solution that led to an iconic building? As an example: Read about Denver International Airport. The project was over-budget, behind schedule, and out of solutions. Then, a newly-hired architect’s used his ability to think outside the box to design a building that dramatically changed the outcome, bridging both concept and new materials to produce an icon.
Respond to two other students’ posts, and bring their research to address a problem that you would want to see used in another space or building of your choosing. How would this innovation approach help solve your problem, or change the look and feel of the space? What challenges would this approach have in its new location, time, context and climate?
To receive full credit students must do the following:
- Write 1 substantive original response* to all parts of the question before the initial posting deadline.**
* Responses should be a minimum of 200 words.
Include an image that refers to your post, properly cited references and resources in MLA format.
- Photographic references should be labeled to include artist name, title, date, and media (when available).
- Downsize all images to 500 px or less before embedding them into your post.
- Refer to the Discussion Rubric for more specifics on how the content of your posts will be evaluated to determine your discussion grade.