Post your interpretation of this week’s readings.
For this week’s assignment, write a total of 4 full length pages that address each of the works assigned, as well as each of the questions below:
1. Please discuss how you feel the literature of this period has changed from the literature of the previous 2 eras.
2. Discuss the character of Deer Slayer. Is he heroic? Is he realistic?
3. Why do you think Cooper decided to tell stories that portray his protagonist as a white man who was raised by American Indians? Do you think this plot structure could have altered the public’s view of American Indians?
4. Given the time period in which this text came out, there are racist elements; please discuss two scenes where racism is apparent.
5. Discuss the naming of the protagonist by the dying American Indian; what is your interpretation of this scene?
6. Discuss how Irving’s “Rip Van Winkle” focuses upon the Revolutionary War.
7. What is the symbolism behind Winkle falling asleep for so many years and missing the war?
8. Do any characters represent Britian?
9. What is your interpretation of Winkle’s wife?